The skills and knowledge that have brought many new first-line managers to their positions will now account for only 15% of their ability to make an impact. What about the other 85%? Listen to Maggie Walsh from Forum and Christine Newman from Boston Financial Data Systems discuss the keys to successful first-line leadership
Maggie Walsh shares tactics that enable leaders and their teams to deal more effectively with ongoing change during economic uncertainty and market complexity.
Hear how Siemens educates prospective customers to provoke new thinking and to differentiate themselves and create new opportunities. Plus, Jeff Baker shares insights into applying Point of View Selling practices.
In Part 3 of our four-part webinar series with The Human Capital Institute (HCI), 44% of participants stated that the level of uncertainty in their organizations has never been higher. Uncertainty’s unwelcome companions (anxiety, distraction, isolation, internal focus) devastate a business unit’s ability to achieve business results. Watch this webinar to learn how you can you improve your climate today.
Part 2 of our four-part webinar series with The Human Capital Institute (HCI) focuses on accelerating initiative execution by urging leaders to "get behind the wheel and drive" instead of just being a "sponsor." Faster companies have leaders who execute projects with speed and efficiency.
With guest speaker: Les Lisz, Australian Red Cross Blood Service
This webinar focuses on what really works in sustaining learning initiatives including a framework to create a targeted sustainment and communication plan. With insights and examples from Asia-Pacific.
Harvard neuroscientist, Dr. Srini Pillay, uncovers things that slow us down at work, and identifies tactics for how to overcome them.
Explore the keys to accelerating strategy, primary speed traps to avoid, 4 leadership practices which drive Strategic Speed, and how to take a 'pulse check' on your own speed. Includes region-specific business examples.
Explore the keys to accelerating strategy, primary speed traps to avoid, 4 leadership practices which drive Strategic Speed, and how to take a 'pulse check' on your own speed.
Web 2.0 has transformed learning. This webinar explores the most effective learning methods, and a client shares their experience employing advanced workplace learning techniques.
Jocelyn Davis, Forum’s EVP R&D and lead author of Strategic Speed: Mobilize People, Accelerate Execution (Harvard Business Press, 2010), discusses swift and successful strategy execution.
In this webinar, Forum's Jocelyn Davis and Air Products' Shirli Pollard combine to share new data (the science) and practitioner tactics (the art) on sustaining behavior change.
Learn more about Speed to Mastery
Strategy and Talent, while important, are just two of the elements of a successful sales force. This webinar will identify all six essentials of sales success, and help you apply the framework to your team.
Elizabeth Griep, co-author of Principles of Learning, shares how you can prepare for workplace shifts while simultaneously attaining critical business objectives.
Held in conjunction with HR People & Strategy (HRPS) this webinar examines the trends and best practices impacting learning effectiveness. Specifically, the Six Principles of Workplace Learning, the three most critical emerging learning themes and actions leaders can take now.
Hear about four trends driving the focus on sustainment, the role of social media, the stumbling blocks to sustaining change, and examples of how clients have overcome those challenges. Read a summary of the key points.
Jocelyn Davis links Neil Young’s “Slowpoke” lyrics to the acceleration of strategy execution.
We interviewed futurist Bob Johansen for his thoughts on the future business environment and the requisite leadership practices. View the condensed interview.
Harvard Business Press’ Publicity Manager, Julie Devoll, interviewed the team behind the research and writing of Strategic Speed. The interview covers the team’s adventures and even their embarrassing misadventures, including when the team tried to find a Chinese word for Speed.
Discover the seven things that slow transitions down, as well as the keys to accelerating transitions, with real-life examples from leaders at Sherwin-Williams.
Teresa Dalsager, VP of Training at Archstone, shares a story about the power of creating a customer-centred climate. Archstone recently significantly increased their employee engagement and customer satisfaction with its Commitment to GREAT programme.